Friday, March 4, 2011

Cheap Happiness or Noble Suffering?

So I ask this question to myself from time to time, which is better? Cheap happiness or Noble suffering? Well, they say life is about choices we make and those choices do add up to our lives where the sum is greater than the parts. My predispositions have always been human when I have given in to the demands of the matter. But there have been incidents which are still fresh in my memory when I outdid myself and opted for the noble. The noble matters have a way of coming, they wouldn’t even knock on your brain doors, and they would rather wait at the doorsteps silently without raising alarms hoping for you to get rid of the ignoble thoughts so you could embrace it wholeheartedly.

The pleasure of doing things noble is hysterical as the conscience is clear, head is straight, will is empowered and satisfaction immense! I am not babbling something because I had to write a blog due for the month of March, this feeling has taken abode in my head for sometime and I have been thinking is it only me or is there someone else too? Allow me to make myself clear on this. What sort of happiness is that which is only meant for public consumption? That you don’t quite like yourself? And what is happiness begot without a fight? Man like me is too disgusted with the idea of anything cheap that he wouldn’t ever go for it, so what if it gives happiness! I think happiness is exaggerated; the sole purpose of living should be doing things noble. Happiness makes a man content that leads to inertia coupled with arrogance. He that is happy is either dead or a fool. I look at them and smile, this smile is not the same as theirs not because I have assumed a moral dictatorship over everyone but due to the fact that I count one more man down pursuing the path of cheap happiness which makes my noble suffering even nobler and just a bit more difficult.

Noble suffering also has purgatorial undercurrents. It purifies your soul of all the sins and keeps you clean. That for me is a bonus as I am not a man of strong religious conducts. Such a living also insures one has least number of undesirable contacts from the outer world, keeping the list to bare minimum. Trust me all of this won’t get you ostracized and you can easily get by for a large part of your life, even amidst the corporatization of emotions and feelings. What will thence remain with you will be a complete diary of noble sufferings which would till that date gladden your senses, your rattled physical self because obviously you have suffered and if you are lucky one or two close acquaintances who had the strength of character to stand by you withstanding your idiosyncrasies. I wish I could practice even an iota of what I write nevertheless a beginning has been made.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the noble thought. Keeps ur conscience clear and you dont have problems facing yourself...
    But the purgatorial part seems problematic....the problem is in answering this -Wil i remain long enough to see that complete diary?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why can't u practice something that u r so passionate about. Suffering does not create any space for the nobility of thoughts nor it is ever that conveniently acceptable. Suffering cannot be a source of salvation, rather it is a medium to disengage with divinity for it questions the very existence of suffering. Though suffering too has diverse nature and it is the sufferer who knows whether it is pleasurable or painful.
    Afroz Ashrafi

    ReplyDelete